02 March 2013

New Project: Untitled

Why, hello there!
It's been a while, eh? It sure has.

So here's a mid-life update:  I'm now 27 (right? yeah - I am.  Sometimes it's hard to keep the years straight), and still breathing. My apartment complex was sold to a new management company, so we'll probably be moving in September.  My big-kid job is busier than ever; our brand is going through a heavy overhaul, and that means lots of and lots of things to do for my department.

I'm still on the road to health and fitness happiness.  I'm doing pretty well, though, despite some bumps in the road.  I finally got my boyfriend on board, so that's exciting.  It makes it a lot easier.

I'm also pleased to announce I have a new writing project.  I don't have a title for it, but like most of my ideas it's a series.  It's actually my longest running idea to-date.  I've been working on it, on and off, for about 8 months now, which is huge for me.  Usually I start and stop an idea about as frequently as a Paris Hilton goes shopping. 

I've decided that I'm going to finish this idea no matter now long it takes. Mostly I've been working on my timelines and character development.  It's very important for me to have a solid foundation before I begin... It's not exactly something I've taken a lot of time on before, and I think that's why my projects in the past have failed.  Maybe some time in the future I'll revisit them and give them the care and attention they need.  They're not bad ideas, they're just underdeveloped.  Poor ideas.

This new project is pretty exciting - I think.  It takes place in the distant future.  Earth exists but not as it has ever been known before.  The last war nearly destroyed the planet, and some ambitious terraforming likewise made most of the planet uninhabitable. Societies exist as lonely bastions in the wilderness, and while they trade with each other, they otherwise don't play nice.

It's a sci-fi/fantasy, but there isn't any space travel.  I don't want to weigh readers down with too much technical jargon - I want it to be about the story.  I think the hardest part is going to be writing the story and not constantly going back through and re-writing my first draft.  I do that a lot, constantly tweaking because it's not perfect... but a rough draft... a FIRST draft, isn't perfect.  That's kind of the point.

Anyway, that's what I'm up to.  Spending some quality time with the cats, my laptop, the sunniest spot in my apartment and the special playlist I put together for this novel.  I wish I could think of a good name for it, but I suppose that will come with time.  It's probably for the best.

Stay shiny!

No comments:

Post a Comment